Tuesday, May 22, 2012

(8) Videos From Allies

On the same day we presented our videos, the other groups presented theirs as well. It was definitely a day to remember. It just shows that our coursemates are very different on screen and off screen. All of us are really talented people. Most of us don't even know what we are capable of, until we watched each others' video.

It started of with Dinie's group's video. It was the scene where Lady Macbeth was hallucinating and sleepwalking in the castle. Then, it was Adiba's group. Their video is on the last scene of the Macbeth play. Later on, it was the boy's video on the scene where Banquo got killed. Then, it was Fatin's group with the 3 witches' scene. Last but not least, Zulaikha's group with the same scene as ours - Lady Macbeth persuades Macbeth to kill King Duncan.

After watching all their videos, I actually got to know more about Macbeth then onwards. I never actually completed the original text. I only read a bit of the simplified version and the summary for the entire play. It actually gave me a clearer picture how the scenes look like and what the story was about. They all used different techniques of filming and different angles of shooting. It really helped me to enhance my imagination for the play. I really find Macbeth difficult to comprehend at start. But after watching all the videos, I actually feel that if I put a little more effort in to it, it wasn't too bad after all.

At first, I really don't get why Shakespeare writes such tragedies. About gaining power, killing, getting killed, suicidal missions and so forth. It really made no sense to me. I cannot understand the purpose of Macbeth being a play. For what? For who? And why?

As I watched my friend's videos, I take in little by little. Every video was different with different scenes and different interpretations. Every video I watched, I learned something new. What used to be nonsensical to me, seems sensible now.

After the presentation, I actually took time to think about all the parts of the play. Slowly, I think I get Macbeth now. Somehow, this tragedy teaches a great life lesson. A great lesson taught to all of us, regarding the era and cultural background. As Stephen King said, "Monsters are real, ghosts are real too. They live inside of us, and sometimes, they win."

Curiosity kills the cat nine times. And curiosity does cause the killing. And once killing starts, there is no end to it. Just like how Macbeth is. Curious about the his prophecy, kill to gain power, kill again to shut people up, and continue killing till the end of himself.

And I guess there is a reason why there were 3 witches in the play. Each of them represented something. "Hell has three gates: lust, anger and greed." (Bhagavad Gita)

Well, to answer the 3 questions above, I start off with "For what?" - To teach us a life lesson. DO NOT BE GREEDY!

"For who?" - For the human kind, whoever lives on the face of the earth. It's important for us to know that, greed can take us no where. Unless if your doomsday is where you wanna be, it would be an entirely different story then.

"Why?" Because prevention is ALWAYS better than cure.

Hail Shakespeare! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment