Saturday, May 12, 2012

(3) Quoting The Macbethological Way

The raven himself is hoarse
That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan
Under my battlements. Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood,
Stop up th’access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
Th’ effect and it. Come to my woman’s breasts,
And take my milk for gall, you murd’ring ministers,
Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature’s mischief. Come, thick night,
And pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell,
That my keen knife see not the wound it makes,
Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark,
To cry ‘Hold, hold!’

Amazing how Lady Macbeth at that era, had so much will in her to actually do something that most women did not have the guts to do. Killing someone requires a great amount of courage. To urge Macbeth to kill with such a will and to be gutsier than a man requires even a greater amount of courage. An act of courage which is not to be proud of I would say, but I was at awe. Nonetheless, she did what a man had capacity to do, whereas Macbeth could never even imagine himself doing it, not even in his dreams.


I was flabbergasted after knowing that it was Lady Macbeth was the mastermind behind Duncan's death. All this while I thought Macbeth did it entirely on his own will. I was taken aback by her strong and determined desire to kill. It took me back about 3 years ago, when I met my dear Uncle Dustin, who just came back from New Zealand for Chinese New Year. He told me once, "Do you know that thriller novels written by women writers have 10 times more violence in it compared to those written by men?", "It was also psychologically proven that women have tendencies and a wider capacity of imagining greater forms of torture and violence than men."

Then I had images of I Spit On Your Grave (2010), a movie where an aspiring writer is repeatedly gang-raped, humiliated, and left for dead by four men whom she systematically hunts down to seek revenge. It was gory, eerie, terrible, horrible, vegetable. It was just mind bothering. Sickening even. The images were un-eraseable. Who would have thought a helpless young woman would have the ability to do something like that. How did she even have the thought of it in the first place?!

It was enlightening, though a bit frightening. We would never know what a woman is capable of doing, until one is really eager, or someone pulls the trigger.

When I read these lines, there was a sudden playing of a song in my head - Superwoman (Alicia Keys).

 

Talking 'bout Superwoman. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. Peace and out.

1 comment:

  1. Ever heard of Hell has no fury like a woman scorned? Even in death, don't think you can ever get away. That movie reference you made suits this saying.

    Lady Macbeth on the other hand was not scorned but was blinded with greed. She is the other half of the partnership who couldn't wait to get her share of fame and fortune. What does that say about women's nature? They are the epitome of goodness, they nourish all under their care but why is it that it is possible for them to turn violent and heartless (think of all the stepmothers of fairytales)

    ReplyDelete