Saturday, May 5, 2012

(2)Macbeth VS Oedipus.......

I make a further reading about Macbeth from many resources. Some from sparks notes, some from others web and even from YouTube.

When I read the story, deep in my heart, I feel pity towards Macbeth. I know some of people thought he is a villain but for me, yes, he is a villain but I think that is the reality. People would do anything just to make sure, they achieve their dream. Some may assume that “backstabbing” are one of the efforts in order to get what we want. It depends on what we believe in. So do Macbeth, he believes that by killing Duncan he can own the throne but when he get the throne he realises that he know nothing about to rule a kingdom. He only knows that killing can solve everything. I pity with Macbeth because he have to fulfil the prophecy and everything would never be the way it was if he did not trying so hard to fulfil the witches prophecies. I think, if he did not listen to what the witches said, there would be a different ending for him.

I compare Macbeth character with Oedipus. Both of them have things in common. Both of them living up for their prophecy and at the end they bear a circumstances that they’ve never imagine of. However, Macbeth trying so hard to fulfil his prophecy and make sure that he will be the king as the prophecy said. Meanwhile, Oedipus tried to avoid what is been destined for him but in the end, without he realises it, he fulfil his own prophecy.
I wonder if is this what Macbeth really want? Could be any other endings if Macbeth tries not to fulfilling the witches’ prophecy?

All this thoughts come to my mind when I read Macbeth....:)

1 comment:

  1. Great comparison! Both characters deal with prophecies- one tried to run away from it and lived in denial while the other wanted to make sure that all the predictions come true.

    But at the end of the day, both characters became defeated beings. All because of their pride and not having faith towards what is already fated.

    ReplyDelete